At the AYY Services Office you can ask about anything related to student life. We also help you with questions concerning housing search, keys, moving, renting and apartments. You can also contact the services office by phone.
Terminate your lease well in advance
Leases have a notice period of one calendar month. You can terminate the lease in Domo.
Empty the storage unit
If you have a storage unit in the basement or the attic, remember to empty and lock the unit when you leave. If you have AYY’s lock for the storage unit, please lock the storage unit and return the key to the services office. If you have your own lock, please remove it and leave the storage unit door unlocked.
You must return the key to the services office if you live in one of the following locations:
- Kaj Franckin katu
If you do not live in these locations and you have an apartment-specific storage unit, i.e. your storage unit number corresponds to the number of your apartment, you can also give the keys to the new tenant at key handover.
Do the final cleaning
Clean the apartment according to final cleaning instruction. If you live in a shared apartment, you must also take care of shared facilities. Do not leave any furniture or devices in the apartment. If you have not cleaned properly, cleaning and emptying will be charged from your deposit.
The apartment must be in such a condition that the new resident can start moving in by 12 noon on the official moving day. This means that the apartment has been cleaned and there is enough room for moving in and out.
Return the keys
- The keys to the apartment must be returned on the official moving day (the first weekday following the termination of the lease) at the latest. This also applies to AYY’s internal apartment transfers. The next resident has the right to enter the apartment at 12.00 noon, so if you have several keys to the apartment, you must return at least one key to the services office by 12 noon. The rest of the keys must be returned by the end of the same day.
- You can return the keys directly to the service counter or the letterbox on the white door at Otakaari. Put the keys into an envelope, close the envelope and write your name on it, as well as the address of the apartment and the number of the apartment.
- If the keys have not been returned in time and correctly, i.e. no later than the moving day including clear information, the keys will be marked as lost. As the renter, AYY may use the deposit to cover expenses for lost or unreturned keys and costs for rekeying the lock or charge the expenses from the tenant.
- Permits, keys and remote controls for the parking space must be returned by 11.59 pm on the official moving day.
- Residents of Maapadontie must return the keys directly to the maintenance company.
Remember the notification of change of address
You can submit the notification of change of address at posti.fi/en/private/change-address. Please remember that filing a notification of change of address is a statutory obligation.
Update electricity contract and home insurance
- If you have electricity contract, transfer the contract to your new address.
- Update your home insurance.
Recycle unnecessary items
- Recycle useful items and clothes. Recycling Centre (Kierrätyskeskus) in the metropolitan area, for example, picks up clean and reusable furniture and small items, and you can also take donations to recycling centres by yourself.
- Check the recycling groups in your area, such as Teekkari Village’s Market on Facebook and Otaniemi buy/sell on Telegram.
- See tips for recycling and sorting of waste. There is also a dumpster for larger waste and a recycling point for electronic waste nearby.
- It is strictly prohibited to leave items on stairwells or common facilities due to fire safety risk and the storage of items on corridors is prohibited under the Rescue Act.
The deposit will be refunded to your account no later than the 20th day of the month if all the obligations are met and the apartment is in order. If you have any questions regarding the deposit, please send us a message.
Where to find more information?
Key handover with the new resident
You can agree to hand over the keys with the new resident with a key handover agreement.
Please return the key handover agreement to AYY immediately after signing the agreement, at the latest during the moving day.