Aava Community Section promotes, maintains and renews the Aalto culture. Aava’s goal is to bring together all Aalto University students and make it possible for all Aalto members to have fun and great experiences.
Apply for sections and committees
There are six sections in AYY: Teekkari Section, Community Section Aava, Campus Section, Museum Section, Advocacy Management Group, more commonly known as Edujory, and Section for Artistic Activities (that doesn't take volunteers for 2021).
Sections are the lively beating heart of the Aalto community activities. The ideas of the sections enrich the student culture and bring colour to the campus. The workload of a member of a section is a few hours a week. In connection with events and projects, more workhours may be required. A member of the section may also have a committee to lead, which also takes time.
This year, the call for applications for section chairs is open from 1 Nov until 30 Nov. To serve as the chair of a section, you will need enthusiasm and motivation, a work-oriented approach and a willingness to lead a group of volunteers for a year.
The chairs select from five to ten members to their sections, who are responsible for an event or project to be executed during the year. EduJory is led by the AYY board member in charge of academic affairs. AYY board member in charge of artistic activities selects section of artistic activities and the section chair will be chosen in the first meeting of the year.
Sections are close teams, groups of friends, that share the joys and sorrows throughout the year and spend a lot of leisure time together. The sections meet approximately once a week.
Committees complete AYY’s field of operations. The committees are usually recruited around a specific event, project or interest (recruited committees) or some are assembled from association’s active members (assembling committees).
Some committees have their chair directly from a section. These are the ones that operate under the Teekkari Section:
- Fresher Committee (FTMK), members from the associations
- ISO Committee (ITMK), members from the associations
- Internationality Committee (KvTMK), members from the associations
- Hosts and Hostesses (IE), members from the associations
- Party Committee (JTMK), open call for members
- Song leader Committee, members from the associations
- Teekkari Tradition Committee (TPTMK), open call for members
- Teekkari Culture Committee, members from the associations
Teekkarius 150 Steering Group, open call for members (read more below)
Editorial board of Teekkarilauluja songbook, open call for members (read more below)
If you are interested in acting as the chair of these committees, please apply for the Teekkari Section. Read more about comittees under the Teekkari Section here.
The following committees operate under Aava and are chaired by Aava members:
- Anniversary Committee (VujuTMK), open call for members (members for year 2021 already chosen)
- Afterparty Committee (AFPTMK), open call for members
- Outdoor Games Committee (UPTMK), open call for members
Project committee (PTMK), open call for members
Sports Committee (LTMK), members from associations
- Communications Committee (VTMK), members from associations
- Chief Editor Committee, members from associations
If you are interested in acting as the chair of these committees, please apply for Aava.
Committees that operate under the Museum Section:
- Museum Committee, open call for members
- Marmon Committee, open call for members
For some committees, the chair and/or members are recruited separately. These include:
Corporate Relations Committee, the chair is recruited, members from special status associations
Study Council, the chair is recruited, school-specific members are recruited
Treasurer Committee, members from associations
As a specialty for 2021, we will recruit a steering group for Teekkarius 150th anniversary, as well as the editorial board for Teekkari songbook!
Teekkarius 150 Steering Group
Teekkarius 150th anniversary will be celebrated in November 2022 in a spectacular way. The task of the steering group is to plan and prepare the upcoming Teekkarius 150th anniversary year together with an employee in charge. The term of office of the steering group is the year 2021, during which the anniversary year, its funding and the celebration are planned.
The steering group is led by the chair, who selects the steering group together with the employee in charge based on applications and interviews.
Requirements for applicants:
Understanding of the technical student culture and its special features
Previous experience in the organising of the anniversary year and major annual celebrations
Special skills and experience required to prepare for the anniversary year: financial understanding, project management, corporate sales, vision for the upcoming anniversary year.
Editorial board of Teekkarilauluja songbook
For the first time, you can now apply to make Teekkarilauluja songbook for AYY! The songbook will be updated and the new edition is scheduled to be published in 2022 in honor of Teekkarius 150th anniversary. The editorial board plans, executes and edits a new edition of Teekkarilauluja songbook together with AYY’s employee in charge.
The editorial board is chaired by the chief editor, who selects the editorial board together with the employee in charge based on applications and interviews.
The term of office of the editorial board starts in January 2021 and ends when the project is completed.
Requirements for applicants:
- Previous experience of technical students’ singing culture and its special features, as well as the desire and enthusiasm to implement and develop the singing culture and the songbook.
- Understanding of the editorial process of the songbook.
- Special skills and experience required for the editing of the songbook: layout, advertising sales, writing.
- Knowledge of the history of technical students and the singing culture.
Send your application
This form is used to apply for the chair of sections and committees. DL 30.11.2020.
This form is used to apply for a section member. DL 6.12.2020.
This form is used to apply for a committee member. DL 3.1.2021.
Requirements for all volunteer applicants:
- Willingness and enthusiasm to promote the student culture in question and its events
- Active and flexible attitude
- Enthusiasm for teamwork and willingness to develop
- Having the time required for the position
- Commitment to AYY’s voluntary principles
- Previous experience in the area of responsibility in the applied position
- Realistic understanding of the position and possible development ideas
In addition, we take into account the diversity of applicants and emphasise a diverse range of volunteers.
Read more on AYY's volunteer recruitments for year 2021 here.
Read more about sections and committees
The Campus section develops, maintains and activates the Otaniemi campus. It aims to create an even more enjoyable place to live and study, creating the requisites for student culture, community spirit, and wellbeing.