Apartments have a central heating system that measures the outdoor temperature and heats the apartment based on this. During the heating season, the temperature of the apartments should be about 21 degrees. If your apartment feels cold, please measure the temperature in the middle of the room, at around one metre height. If the temperature is below 21 degrees, please notify the maintenance company.
In the heat of summer and when the sun is shining directly into the apartment, temperature may rise above 21 degrees. In accordance with the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health’s housing health guideline (in Finnish]), “the room temperature may not rise above 26 C, unless the rising temperature is caused by the warmth of the air outdoors.” You can try to cool the apartment by keeping the curtains closed and by ventilating the apartment in the evenings, once the outdoor temperature cools down.
Keys behind locked doors
Did you lock yourself out of your apartment? During the opening hours of AYY’s Services Office, you can pop in to borrow a key. Securitas can open the door for you 24/7 every day, but you will be charged a fee of EUR 30.
- If you live in AYY’s apartment in Espoo* or Helsinki** and lock yourself out of your apartment, please call Securitas service number 060013513. The cost of calling is 8,21 cents/call + lnc/mnc.
- You must prove your identity by showing an official identity document such as passport or EU identity card (with a photo). The door opening service can only be used by the tenant that is officially registered as the tenant by AYY.
- Securitas will send a resident an invoice for opening the door. It is a good idea to pay your door opening invoice on time. If you do not pay the invoice by the due date, Securitas will send two reminder invoices before it goes to collection. If you have any questions about the invoice, please contact Securitas.
The door opening service of Securitas does not apply to Otaniemi Housing Foundation properties Servin Maijan tie 1 and Servinkuja 2, nor the Artti Housing Foundation property Maapadontie. In these properties, the doors will continue to be opened by the maintenance company.
Please always inform AYY about a lost key using this form. Housing Services will give you further instructions on how to proceed and how you can get a new key as soon as possible.
For a lost key, you will be charged the costs of having a new key made. AYY will send the invoice for the lost key to the tenant. Please fill out the form only when you are absolutely certain that you have lost the key. The costs of having a new key made will be charged for the lost key. The notification is binding, and you will be charged for the key even if you find it later.
If a tenant hands in less keys than what they have signed for when tenancy ends, the costs of having the missing keys replaced will be deducted from the tenant’s deposit.
- Electricity and district heating in AYY’s housing come from emission-free or renewable energy sources. If you are responsible for your electricity contract, we recommend fossil-free options, such as solar and wind power. With a greener electricity contract, you have a direct impact on reducing emissions and supporting energy companies in switching to more sustainable electricity production. You can read more about tendering for electricity and energy sources on the sahkonhinta.fi site (Electricity Price Comparison) of the Finnish Energy Authority.
- "No ads" sticker on the door reduces paper waste.
- It is easy to consume sustainably at Aalto. Furniture and other household items can be purchased second-hand instead of new. Please donate or recycle your own unneeded household items at recycling centres, for example. However, the best waste is no waste. Read more about recycling in AYY’s housing.
- By taking Sitra’s lifestyle test, you will get tailor-made tips for more sustainable living and housing choices.
Previous resident’s mail
If you receive mail addressed to the previous resident or an unknown person, please write “jaettu väärin” (“misdelivered”) onto the letter and drop it at the nearest mail box for redelivery.
Internet and TV
The rent includes an internet connection which can be used without any special arrangements. Connect an Ethernet cable (with an RJ45 connection) to the wall and your computer.
All questions related to the internet and television are answered by Trinet. You can reach Trinet using this contact form. More detailed information on using the internet and TV as well as contact details are available on the Trinet website.
Fire alarm and light fittings
Fire alarms and light fittings in the apartment are mainly the resident’s responsibility. If the light bulb in the bathroom or your ceiling lamp burns out, you should replace it with a new one.
AYY is responsible for fire alarms and light fittings and bulbs in the common areas of shared apartments. If the fire alarm in the common area runs out of battery or a bulb burns out, please contact the maintenance company. Fire alarms and light fittings and bulbs in the rooms of a shared apartment are the resident’s responsibility. Some shared apartments have a ceiling light installed, but the bulbs have to be purchased by residents.
In some of our newest properties, fire alarms are connected to the grid. If a fire alarm connected to the grid is faulty, please contact the maintenance service.
Parking and control
Parking spaces can be rented close to almost all of AYY’s properties. If you need a parking space, please contact the Housing Services using this form.
Car rental prices vary by destination. In Teekkarikylä, a parking space with an electric pole costs, for example, 15 € / month and a place without an electric pole costs 8 € / month.
The parking spaces at Turkismiehentie, Maapadontie and Kirkonkyläntie are controlled by the maintenance companies of the properties. If a resident of these properties needs a parking space, queries should be sent to the maintenance company. The contact details of maintenance companies can be found on each property’s own site.
If you have received a ticket for incorrect parking, please negotiate with the party who fined you. Unfortunately, AYY cannot influence the tickets received by residents.