Aalto University Student Union has approximately 2,600 student apartments in Espoo and Helsinki, which are a home to 3,200 student union members. At its meeting 06/2021, the AYY Board decided that castle wardens, the trustees of residents, will no longer have the master key in their possession, because AYY cannot oblige residents to take care of duties that are the responsibility of the landlord or the maintenance company. The decision should also reduce the risks in case the keys are lost.
At the same time, AYY decided to clarify more resident-friendly options for the door opening service provided by the maintenance company. The property and housing team has negotiated an affordable door opening service with Securitas for all AYY residents, which will enter into force on 6th of April:
Securitas will open your door 24/7 every day for EUR 30.
- If you live in AYY’s apartment in Espoo* or Helsinki** and lock yourself out of your apartment, please call Securitas service number 060013513. The cost of calling is 8,21 cents/call + lnc/mnc.
- You must prove your identity by showing an official identity document such as passport or EU identity card (with a photo). The door opening service can only be used by the tenant that is officially registered as the tenant by AYY.
- Securitas will send a resident an invoice for opening the door. It is a good idea to pay your door opening invoice on time. If you do not pay the invoice by the due date, Securitas will send two reminder invoices before it goes to collection. If you have any questions about the invoice, please contact Securitas.
In other words, you should no longer call the maintenance company or a castle warden, always call Securitas. Under normal circumstances, it would be possible to pick up a spare key from the Otaniemi Services Office. However, this option is not available now due to the exceptional circumstances caused by COVID-19. AYY follows the instructions of the authorities and aims to open the Services Office as soon as it is safe to do so.
*Please note! The door opening service of Securitas does not apply to Otaniemi Housing Foundation properties Servin Maijan tie 1 and Servinkuja 2. In these properties, the doors will continue to be opened by the maintenance company.
**Please note! The door opening service of Securitas does not apply to Artti Housing Foundation property Maapadontie 5. In this property, the doors will continue to be opened as before.
A few tips for residents regarding the keys:
- Remember to take care of your keys and give a spare key to a familiar neighbour. If you did not receive a spare key when moving in, please contact AYY’s housing services to find out if a spare key is available.
- If you lose your key, please contact the housing services immediately! The landlord must always be notified of the lost key as soon as possible. Please fill out the form only when you are absolutely certain that you have lost the key. The costs of having a new key made will be charged for the lost key. The notification is binding, and you will be charged for the key even if you find it later.
- If you notice any defects with the doors and keys in your property or apartment, please contact the maintenance company. Lubrication of hinges and locks is the responsibility of the resident.
Minna Merensilta, Service and Rental Manager, [email protected]
Samuli Vehkomäki, Member of the AYY Board, housing, [email protected]