Welcome to Aalto University and the Student Union!
A good way to get started is to have a look at the Aalto student portal Into for example, where you will find plenty of information on university studies, study services and your own degree programme.
You can find information specific to your own study field on the website of your School, as well as on the sites of associations representing your study field. Links to the associations’ websites can be found here.
Checklist for new students
Your life as a new student will go swimmingly as long as a few basics are in order. So, make sure to check off your list at least the following things.
Before your studies start
- Register for attendance and pay the AYY membership fee. Save your membership fee receipt and keep it on you until you receive your student card.
- Order a student card from Frank. You can also download a digital student card Frank App.
- Apply for an AYY student apartment and get a roof over your head. Another good apartment provider for students in the capital region is HOAS, the Foundation for Student Housing in the Helsinki Region. Of course, you can also look for an apartment on the private market, at Oikotie.fi or Vuokraovi.fi, for example.
- Remember to submit a notification of change of address.
- If you are entitled to benefits from Kela, apply for a study grant and the housing supplement on the Kela website. Remember to keep an eye on your income limits if you have any other income.
- Look into the transport connections between your home and campus.
If you are a foreign student, make sure which practices apply to you in good time before you start your studies, for example here.
In the beginning of autumn
- Pick up your calendar for the academic year at an AYY service point.
- Get a public transport travel card from a HSL service point and update it with a student status.
- Do not hesitate to ask your tutor about anything troubling you.
- Take part in the activities organised by your tutoring group, AYY and various associations and get to know new people – studying is a lot more fun in good company, too!
- Get involved with the association operations! There is a huge number of associations operating within AYY whose operations you are welcome to join. The associations include, for example, different subject organisations, hobby and study subject clubs, the Swedish-language student society Teknologföreningen (TF) and the Teekkari guilds. The associations organise e.g. different kinds of events and bring together likeminded people.
Where can I find information?
- AYY’s weekly newsletter – subscribe to it here.
- AYY’s Facebook page. Like it and join the page’s subgroups!
- Design Calendar – the pocket databank of all Aalto people. Pick up yours at a service point!
- Notice boards. E.g. adverts for various events appear regularly on the buildings’ notice boards around campus.
Whom can I ask?
- Your own tutor / ISO person / Freshman Captain – they can usually guide you onwards.
- Course staff / study advisor / tutor-teacher – the experts on study-related questions.
- Any Student Union employee or Board member.