Thefts in Otaniemi – comprehensive security starts around AYY’s properties
We have learned that residential properties in Otaniemi have recently been broken into and property has been stolen in connection with student events. The break-ins reported to AYY have also been reported to the police.
In Teekkarikylä, round-the-clock district guarding will begin without delay around AYY’s properties in addition to the already existed guarding in Jämeräntaival 1, and door codes to properties will be changed. Furthermore, we kindly ask everyone to pay special attention to the safety of their belongings both in their home and when using the other facilities.
For example, you can help combat theft by:
- Keeping the door to your room in a shared apartment locked
- Keeping the doors to buildings locked
- Not sharing your building’s door code with anyone
- If you lose your keys, reporting it immediately to AYY’s housing services
- Not attaching your name, address, phone number or other personal identification number to your keys
- Not letting strangers into the building
- Keeping the doors of your association's premises locked
- Not leaving your belongings unattended
- Not storing any valuables in the storage units
- Informing the police by calling the emergency number 112, if you suspect theft or if you notice anything suspicious
We are dismayed by what has happened and we are sorry on behalf of all Otaniemi residents. We hope that these measures will help prevent any further crimes and keep the area safe. We will continue to report to the police any similar incidents that come to our attention.
For further information, please contact:
Antti Ilmavirta, Executive director
+358 50 329 1165