We are hiring Policy Specialist!
Application closes on
We are hiring Policy Specialist Deputy for the duration of study leave!
Policy Specialist is part of the Student Union’s advocacy team and works in close cooperation with the annually changing Student Union Board. In this position, you will develop student advocacy at national level and promote the rights of students, as the advocacy work takes place locally in the Aalto community and together with other organizations in society.
Your responsibilities include social policy and sustainable development. As Policy Specialist, you are part of various university working groups, coordinate AYY’s social advocacy work and engage in active networking. In the social policy sector, you work on the themes of well-being, health, city and income policy. With regard to sustainable development, our goal is to develop the student union activities to be in line with our objective of carbon neutrality. We also aim to implement the principles of sustainable development more widely in the student community activities.
It is beneficial if you have previously worked on these themes at work, in organizations or recreational activities.
In addition to these themes, the work includes student guidance and training of the AYY community on social policy themes. The specialist’s role also includes preparing advocacy material and decision-making related to one’s area of responsibility. Working in the student union and with the university requires enthusiasm for development, independent approach and initiative, effective implementation of decisions and a strategic eye. All our specialists also provide information on their areas of responsibility.
- Higher education studies
- Skills to operate as part of a multicultural community
- Initiative and ability to work independently
- Good command of Finnish, both spoken and written
- Excellent command of English
- Excellent interaction skills
- Ability to understand the big picture and pick up new skills
- Willingness and enthusiasm to work among students
- Knowledge of social policy and sustainable development themes
- Experience of working with the university, student union or organisations
- Experience of producing statements and professional texts
- Experience of training
- Swedish skills and other language skills
- A versatile and challenging position where you can implement your ideas and develop your expertise
- Support of the skilled team in the enthusiastic work community
- Good opportunities to educate yourself alongside work
- Flexible working hours and good employee benefits, including sports&culture and lunch vouchers, one working hour per week for exercise and 8 days of paid TES leave
The contract of employment is for a fixed term until 31 Dec 2023 and full-time (37.5 hours / week). The salary is determined by a collective agreement of the student unions (basic salary is EUR 2298.37 plus any education and length-of-service allowances). The AYY office is located in Otaniemi, Espoo, along good transport connections.
The interviews will take place on 12 and 13 January and the starting date will be agreed with the recruited person. During the application process, we will contact the referrers of the selected applicants. Please add the contact details of your referrers to your CV or application already at the application stage.
Further information is provided by Advocacy and Communications Manager Nea Baarman (nea.baarman(a)ayy.fi, 044 330 6224) until the end of the application period.
Aalto University Student Union AYY is an advocacy and service organisation for more than 16,000 students. AYY employs about 50 people, and dozens of volunteers and associations operate within the Student Union. AYY is a young and innovative operator in the student union field, where you can implement your ideas and create something new. As a working environment, AYY is modern and very flexible.