Furnishings and refurbishing the apartment
Residents are allowed to paint all AYY apartments in the way they choose.
If you want to paint your apartment, AYY’s Housing Services will provide you with a voucher you can use to purchase paints and painting equipment on AYY.
There are a few restrictions on painting an apartment:
- The floor and ceiling must not be painted.
- Radiators, power sockets and skirting boards must not be painted.
- Paints intended for painting apartments must be used for the painting.
- Doors and windowsills must not be painted, as the doors may be irrevocably ruined if a wrong type of paint is used on them. If, however, you want to paint a cupboard door that is in bad shape, for example, and you know what you are doing, get in touch with AYY’s Real Estate Sector ([email protected]), who can instruct you and grant you permission for exceptional paint work.
Even though you are given free rein in terms of painting, please avoid setting up the next resident for a nasty surprise. When necessary, AYY has apartments repainted by professionals.
Painting the common areas in shared apartments with single rooms
The common areas of shared apartments with single rooms can also be painted to your liking, as long as all residents of the apartment are in agreement about the painting.
If you want to paint the common areas of your shared apartment, get in touch with AYY’s Housing Services to get a voucher for purchasing paints.
Environmentally friendly paint options
Please prefer paints that have an eco-label or certificate, such as the EU Ecolabel or the Nordic Swan Ecolabel. The paint shop staff are happy to tell you about paint options that are as environmentally friendly as possible. Responsible painting also includes proper waste disposal. It is a good idea to think in advance how much paint you will need. The less paint you have left over, the less its disposal will burden the environment.
Please recycle and dispose of your surplus paint by saving the environment with the following tips:
- Could your surplus paint be used by a neighbour or friend, for example?
- A carefully emptied metal can goes into metal waste and the plastic can into energy waste.
- Paint cans containing liquid paint are hazardous waste. Hazardous waste should be taken to a hazardous waste collection point, such as a municipal waste disposal site or a Sortti station.
- Liquid paint waste should not be flushed into drains, poured into the nature or placed in a waste container. Hazardous waste that is disposed of improperly causes environmental damage. In case of sorting problems, HSY waste guide provides instructions and the nearest recycling point: https://www.hsy.fi/en/residents/pages/default.aspx
- Dry paint waste can be disposed of with mixed waste. Small amounts of liquid paint can be evaporated dry by leaving the lid open.
Putting up artwork and shelves
Nail holes and picture hooks are part of the normal wear and tear of rental apartments, so light objects can be put up on the walls of AYY’s apartments within reason.
If bigger undertakings are carried out in the apartment, for example, bolting sturdier fasteners into the wall for shelves or a television, these alterations must be restored to their previous conditions and the walls cleaned when leaving the apartment.
All floor work in the apartments are the responsibility of AYY’s Real Estate Sector. This means that unfortunately, residents are for example not allowed to install new laminate flooring in the apartments.
If the floor is in a particularly bad condition, contact AYY’s Real Estate Sector at [email protected].
All AYY apartments are unfurnished. This means that there is no bed, table or ceiling light in the apartment. However, the apartments have all of the fixed furnishings in the bathroom and kitchen (sink, fridge, stove, etc.).
Furnishings can be acquired cheaply or for free in recycling centres. In Otaniemi, for example, there is a recycling centre that is run by volunteers.
For a temporary need, you can also rent furnishings. Furent is a company specialising in services related to furnished apartments. If you want to order a set or furnishings or you have questions regarding the service, get in touch at [email protected]. Crockery, cutlery, kitchen utensils and home textiles are available as affordable packages from Viako.